Quick view forms functionality is new in Microsoft Dynamics CRM 2013. A Quick view form is a type of form that can be added to another form as a quick view control. They provide a template to view information about a related entity record within a form for another entity record. This means people do not need to navigate to a different record to see the information they need to do their work.
Quick view controls are associated with a lookup field that is included in a form. If the lookup field value is not set, the Quick view control will not be visible. Data in quick view controls is not editable and quick view forms do not support form scripts.
Because quick view forms are viewed using a quick view control in a form, they do not include header, footer, or navigation areas. Security roles cannot be assigned to quick view forms and they cannot be activated or deactivated.
Create a Quick View Form: Quick view forms are created using the form editor in a manner similar to the way you create other forms.
1. In the default solution, using the solution explorer, expand the Entities node and select the entity you want to create a new quick view form for.
2. Expand the entity and select the Forms node.
3. Click New and select Quick View Form. This will open the form editor.
4. In the form editor, click or tap Form Properties in the Form group of the Home tab.
5. In the Form Properties dialog box, enter a Form Name and Description to differentiate this quick view form from any others and close the Form Properties dialog box. In the below screenshot you can see ‘account card’ quick view form properties.
6. Edit the form to add the fields you want. In the below screenshot you can see ‘account card’ quick view form
7. To save the form and close the form editor, on the Home tab, Save group, click or tap Save and Close.
Add a Quick View Form to the Main Form: Quick view forms can only be added to a main form where a lookup field exists that targets the entity of the quick view form.
1. In an entity main form, click or tap Quick View Form in the Control group of the Insert tab.
2. In the Quick View Control Properties dialog box, set the properties described in Quick view control properties. In the below screenshot you can see ‘Company Name’ on Contact is set ‘account card’ quick view form.
Edit a Quick View Form: Quick view forms have a simplified layout because they are designed to be viewed within a form section. Only one single column tab is available. You can add only additional single column sections, fields, subgrids, and spacers.
When you edit a quick view form, you must publish your changes before they will be visible in the application.
3. Click or tap OK to close the Quick View Control Properties dialog box.
You must save and publish the main form before the quick view control changes will be visible.
Here you can see how Contact Main form is looking after we set ‘account card’ quick view form.
I am trying to use the functionality “quick view control” for the entity Contact Lines, but for some reason this option has been disabled and therefore I cannot add/create any quick view form to the seeded entity “Service Activities”.
Any idea if this is a setup issue, because I used the security role of the system administrator, so I should have all the sysadmin rights to do it, and the strange thing is that I do not have this issue with other seeded entities.
Any idea why I am facing this issue.
Thanks and Regards,
PS; we are using Microsoft CRM 2013